NewScoop YYC is excited to partner with the United Church of Canada to create a series of Online Conversations about social innovation.
From sea to sea to sea, communities of social innovators are saying YES to challenges and opportunities within our neighbourhoods and faith communities.
Over the next four months, New Scoop is hosting 20 free online conversations introducing many exciting and energizing projects. Join us if the topics are of interest! This is open to all social innovators with any or no religious affiliation.
Each online conversation will have some panelists that are doing related work. They will tell their story and where they are headed. Then all of the participants will be broken out into online rooms into groups to tell their own story, connect with each other, and share learnings. This is interactive & fun! Here is our schedule of topics & panelists for September.
Collaboration: Better Together
Date: Sept 12, 11am MST
Collaboration is what everyone is doing. Understanding that we are stronger and better together is pivotal in us being able to make as big of an impact as possible. The panelists are all part of regional clusters, coalitions, or cooperatives that are intentionally working together.
Elders, Our Gift & Grace: Co creating Community
Date: September 14th, 11am MST
Engaging and inspiring seniors has been some of the primary work of church in community for decades. We have seen seated yoga, senior lunches, knitting circles, and many other ways to engage. But things are changing again with new, creative ways to engage.
– Edith Rankin United Church has partnered with the local seniors association to see what more they can do to engage
– Human Endeavour is a non-profit that does programming for seniors that are new immigrants, helping them to connect with others from their home country or in the same situation
– A new rural strategy is forming to support seniors in the Ottawa region
Playing With God: Embracing the Arts
Date: September 19th, 11am MST
For centuries the arts and faith communities have been integrated, just ask Michelangelo! But with the re-imaging of church space, there is a resurgence of art being part of the church. Learn how churches are starting to embrace this relationship in new ways.
– Bradford United Church and St John’s in Brockville are seeing themselves as new centres for the arts
– Artfest has successfully run in Winnipeg for the last 3 years
– Hope United Church is running an arts summer camp
Women Are From Venus & Out of This World Programming
Date: September 27th, 10:30am MST
Women have always been a strong backbone of church from United Church Women to volunteering at the many outreach programs that are run. There is a change in what women are seeking and responding to. Find out about the new women’s groups that are popping up and other ways that women are being served.